Job Posting Examples That Work (+Tips For Writing Your Own Hiring Ad!)
A good job posting is critical in today’s competitive hiring environment. But it can be challenging to write a description that attracts top talent while limiting the number of unqualified applicants. Not sure how to write an effective job posting? We’ll break it down for you here.
In this article, we’ll explain what a job posting is, good and bad examples, and tips for writing your own hiring ad. After reading this, you’ll be prepared to write job posts that work to recruit top talent in the current market.
What is a job posting?
A job posting is an advertisement for an open position. A good posting should not only include a description of the role but also feature details about your company, benefits, and culture to attract potential candidates.
It’s important to note that a job posting is not exactly the same thing as a job description; a posting is primarily intended to “sell” the role and generate initial interest in a position whereas a description will likely include more details about the day-to-day tasks, responsibilities, and expectations as well as desired educational qualifications, training, experience, and skills.
Bad Job Posting Examples
Job Title: Part-Time Administrative Assistant
Job Description: We are seeking a part-time administrative assistant to support our team. In this role, you will perform a variety of administrative tasks, including:
- Greeting customers
- Drafting correspondence
- Plan and scheduling appointments and events
- Answering phone calls
- Maintaining organized files
- All other office functions
To qualify for this position, you should have previous office experience, be able to multitask and prioritize, be detail-oriented and have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Please submit your resume for consideration.
This posting is for a part-time position but it doesn’t list any information about work hours or days of the week.
Job Title: Stockers and Cashiers
Job Description: We are hiring for multiple full-time stocker and cashier positions to join our family-owned business at our Boston location. As a stocker in this fast-paced environment, you will help customers find products, carry purchases out to customers’ cars, and stock shelves. Cashiers will operate a cash register.
We offer a complete benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, vacation, paid holidays and a 401(k) plan.
To apply, you should be reliable, self-motivated and a team player. Excellent customer service is a must! Please contact us at 555-555-5555 or shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The post combines multiple positions. Always post a separate ad for each job rather than combining multiple jobs into one posting to simplify the ad for applicants and improve your keyword rankings. Use of the phrase “shoot me an email” is unprofessional and including an email address can lead to phishing scams and hacking.
Good Job Posting Examples
Job Title: Teller With Continuous Opportunities for Growth!
Job Description: Community Bank is looking for an outgoing individual to serve as the face of our institution.
About Community Bank: Community Bank is a local leader in financial services. Founded in 1821, our bank serves the needs of area customers with personal and business banking and wealth management services. Regardless of what our customers’ needs are, we meet them with the personalized attention only a community bank can provide.
What it’s Like to Work Here: Ask our employees and the one word they’d use to describe working at Community Bank is “great.” Our team members all share a positive attitude, problem solving abilities and patience, enabling them to provide excellent customer service even during fast-paced shifts. Our culture, plus continuous opportunities for growth, have resulted in an industry-low turnover rate. Don’t miss out on this rare opening with us!
A Day in the Life as a Teller: As the first person customers engage with when entering the bank, you will help complete transactions, uncover financial needs, recommend products/services to help them meet their goals, and refer them to other specialists at the bank if appropriate. With each transaction, you will need to ensure compliance with our policies, procedures and security requirements as well as government regulations.
Qualifications to be a Teller: No special skills are required but some requirements mean you have the potential to be a great teller:
- Cash handling skills
- Caring attitude
- Detail oriented
- Good communications skills
- Strong math skills
- Knowledge of core computer programs and aptitude for working with new systems and software
Ready to apply? If this job sounds like a fit for you, then click on the ‘apply’ button below. Good luck!
This job posting gives an overview of the company and the culture, describes the role in sufficient detail, and limits the qualifications to those that are most important to keep the ad brief. The language is engaging and broken up into clear sections to make the post easy to read.
Job Title: Senior Account Manager at Top 100 Employer
Job Description: Drive customer satisfaction and revenue growth through strategic relationships as a senior account manager in our sales and marketing department in our downtown office.
About Us: We provide global communication solutions to customers in 150 countries. Rated a top 100 employer two years in a row, we hire the best people and provide them the best benefits to improve their lives, including a competitive salary, medical, dental and vision coverage and perks like a fully-stocked break room with complimentary food and drinks, on-site gym and frequent company and team outings.
About the Role: You will help distinguish our company with professionalism, best practices and deliverables that build customer loyalty. Among the responsibilities of the role are:
- Opportunity Development: You will help manage the customer relationship based upon new project direction, including assisting in RFP responses, contract negotiations and supporting the development of the solution review.
- Portfolio Expansion: For existing customers, you will work to expand the sales of additional deliverables.
- Maintenance Renewals: In a timely manner, you will collaborate with other team members to manage renewals.
About You: The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- 5-6 years in consultative selling
- Experience in creating solutions for customers based on their initiatives and our offerings
- Understanding of the industry and the business challenges customers face
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
If you are ready to become part of our family, apply online here. In your cover letter, please explain why your experience is relevant to this role.
Section headings are clear and straightforward. Requiring additional personal information in the cover letter requires more effort of applicants and will reduce the number of submissions from those who are not serious about the role.
Tips for Writing Your Own Job Post
As you can see, there are some common elements that make a good job post. Here are some tips to make a good first impression with your hiring ad.
- Include a hook. Be sure your title includes more than just the position name. Include a few additional enticing details. For example, we added on to the title Job Teller with the phrase “continuous opportunities for growth.”
- Share your story. Include information that can help a candidate understand what it’s like to work at your company like your culture, values, and team environment or anything else that makes your company unique.
- Highlight top benefits. Make your posting stand out by listing the top perks employees will get if they join your company. Be aware of what’s trending among benefits to be sure you highlight points that will resonate.
- Feature key aspects of the job. Without getting into too many details, include key features of the role to get prospective employees excited about the role.
- Focus on flexibility. If the job is remote or semi-remote, be sure to mention that since the majority of employees still want to work from home at least part of the time. You’ll also want to add any other details about the job’s location such as whether you offer relocation assistance.
Recruit Top Talent With The Right Hiring Ad
Hopefully, with these examples and tips, you’ll be well on your way to attracting the right talent for your company’s needs. It’s important to keep in mind that writing a job posting is just one element of a successful hiring process. Learn the 12 steps to consider including in your efforts to hire qualified candidates. If you don’t have the time or resources in house to tackle recruiting on your own, you may want to consider using an outsourced recruiter. Learn more about Complete Payroll Solutions’ recruiting services to see if we may be a good fit for your organization.
Editor's Note: This blog was originally published in August of 2018 and was updated in June of 2023 for accuracy and comprehensiveness.